+1 to the suggested meaning of +1 votes
+1 to the suggestion of *all* committers voting

regards
Jan

Kevan Miller wrote:
I'd like to request a change to the RTC process being used by Geronimo (or at least I'm requesting a relaxation of Ken's interpretation of the RTC process).

In Ken's announcement of the change to the commit model, he stated that a +1 to an RTC request means "I have applied this patch and tested it and found it good". Although a relaxation of this interpretation has been suggested (or mentioned), to my knowledge nothing has actually changed.

In some areas of Geronimo (e.g. devtools), this is a cumbersome and difficult task for most committers. The fact that there are not more committers interested in these areas of Geronimo is an acknowledged issue. However, it's unlikely that current Geronimo committers want to be intimately familiar with some of these Geronimo components -- we've all had our chance to get involved, so far, but have chosen not to.

That's a specific problem with the current process. However, I think there's a general problem with this interpretation for all areas of Geronimo. IMO, this interpretation is not really helping to address the fundamental problems/concerns which have prompted the move to RTC. IMO, these concerns are that 1) some enhancements are not being properly communicated with the Geronimo community, 2) too many discussions/debates are occurring on private channels, and 3) some people are being intimidated to remain silent on some public discussions.

I'd like to see some specific RTC guidelines created for Geronimo. I'm sure other projects must have already crafted similar guidelines. So, I'd like to take a look at those, before spending too much time on creating guidelines from scratch (I'd also like to shove 1.1. out the door...)

In the meantime, I propose the following interpretation of a +1 vote to an RTC request:

"I have reviewed (and possibly tested) this patch and found it good. I understand the capability which the patch is adding and support the direction in which it is taking the Geronimo project"

Comments and suggestions are, of course, welcome...