I brought this up a couple of months ago, and I believe we reached a consensus on what should be done but the work was put off until after 1.1 shipped. Since then, I have a new factor to introduce into this discussion, so I want to make sure we've got good agreement on what needs to be done. To refresh, I proposed that the javamail code needed to be reorganized so that the javamail-transport jar (which is currently part of the Geronimo build) is separated from Geronimo and available with the geronimo-javamail-spec jar. The consensus seemed to lean toward the following approach:

1)  keep the javamail spec jar/build the way it is.
2) create a separate repository for the javamail-transport module and continue to build a javamail-transport jar file. 3) as part of the javamail-transport build, also build an uber-jar that combines the spec jar and the transport jar.

I think this will work ok, but I think a slight modification is required. Over the last couple of days, I created a javamail 1.4 version of the spec jar, with the intent that this version could be made an optional plugin. However, the javamail 1.3 spec jar is going to need to be kept around, since it's required to pass the tck. The javamail 1.4 jar can't be used, since it will fail the tck signature tests. It looks like the best approach here would be to rename the existing javamail spec module to "geronimo-javamail-spec-1.3" and introduce a new "geronimo-javamail-spec-1.4" module to create the other version.

In lock-step with that, there are some dependencies between the transport jar file and the corresponding spec version. So the transport repository will also need modules to build the matching provider jar.
So, given all that, here's what I think should be done:

1) rename the geronimo-spec-javamail module to geronimo-spec-javamail-1.3. This already builds a geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-${geronimoSpecsJavamailVersion} jar file, which is what we want.

2) create a new geronimo-spec-javamail-1.4 module, which will build a geronimo-javamail_1.4_spec-${geronimoSpecsJavamailVersion} jar file.

3) create a new javamail-provider repository (note the name change...javamail-transport might have made sense when it only contained smtp, but now that it also has Store providers, it doesn't really fit). This will have two modules for the 1.3 and 1.4 versions of the providers, and will build geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_provider-${geronimoProviderJavamailVersion} and geronimo-javamail_1.4_provider-${geronimoProviderJavamailVersion} jar files.

4) Additionally, the javamail-provider build will create two uber-jars containing the specs and providers combined: geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_mail-${geronimoProviderJavamailVersion} and geronimo-javamail_1.4_mail-${geronimoProviderJavamailVersion}

Rick