One of the folks at the Geronimo talk at the Enterprise Open Source
conference in NYC was from a university that uses Apt, RPM, and tools
like that to manage their patches and infrastructure.  They were
especially interested in find ways like that to distribute plugins.
He mentioned a feature in (or going into) Maven that would let it use
a different kind of repository back end (jpackage I think?  The
Java-on-Linux packaging effort).

It would be nice to figure out how to better leverage the Maven code
to populate and access the repositories, and make that layer more
pluggable (Brett or Jason, can we talk about this?).  It would
certainly also be nice to take advantage of tools like RPM and Apt to
install updates and plugins.  That might be a better way to distribute
plugins to a cluster, if the end user is on Linux.

Thanks,
   Aaron