According to the maven guys, the release process is:
  * deploy snapshot
  * vote on snapshot
  * build and deploy a release

Currently the m2 release process (if you use the release plugin is):
  * change all versions in poms and commit
  * create a tag
  * release and deploy from tag
  * revert to snapshots and commit
AFAIK, this can be done from trunk or branch.

The only problem i see is that you have currently no way to:
  * deploy to a private repo without changing the pom
  * promote a build to a release, so once a build has been voted,
     the release must be rebuild and redeployed (the binaries are different)

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet