the Maven 1 build... and nuke its build files.

   Is this necessary? It is a nice thing to have during bug fixes.

Yes this is necessary. We already have had several commits to trunk that changed Maven 1 configurations and skipped Maven 2... the longer we have both systems in place the more likely they will get out of sync.

I am planning to maintain the packaging plugin and configs on the trunk
despite all the cosmetic changes done by RTC-2161. I still need to add

Please do not work from trunk... it will be very difficult to apply patches you make to trunk to the m2migration branch which is what is under active development.

some functionality and tie some loose ends. I need to add classPath fix
and explicit-version.properties fix. Jason, Do I have your permission
to do so?

What are the changes?

We should submit 3 patches for RTC -
1. One from the branch
2. One with packaging plugin and configs made from the trunk
3. One with assembly plugin and Assemblies made from the trunk
    The patches 2 and 3 can be reviewed and tested independently of 1.
   IMO this is the only way to keep the build current at all times
while we wait for RTC and other issues to be resolved.

I do not plan on submitting a patch for RTC. I can produce a rather nasty diff of the trees for review if that is what the PMC wants, but IMO that would be a waste of time for them to review. Instead I suggest that the review be done by checking out the branch, building and then starting the Jetty assembly.

--jason