Your suggestion is good Sachin and I agree. What I think we need is a JIRA triage person who watches the incoming JIRAs and is a PITA until someone deals with the patch. Kind of like we do the TCK.

I think 3-4 days is max as after that discouragement probably starts to set in.

Sachin Patel wrote:
As I've been working to get some of these patches applied to 1.1.1, I've noticed most of the patches are still months old and 90% of the time when a patch is applied thats the end of the defect thread and no comments on the patches are provided. This I'm sure is very frustrating and surely it has to be discouraging community participation. We need to have an immediate change our policy on when patches get posted by the community (non-committers specifically) that they get assigned to an individiual for review ASAP and under no circumstances should a jira that contains a patch be unassigned. All patches must be considered for inclusion in the targeted fix version and we cannot continue to let patches dangle over multiple releases. I'm not sure if there would be a way to enforce this, except take it upon ourselves to take the time to review and comment on contributions from the community.

So what would be a reasonable time frame that a patch should should be reviewed, applied or commented on by? 3-4 days, a week?

-sachin