On Jul 21, 2006, at 8:15 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
Based on this note and the others it sounds like the build is working and that you are suggesting a temporary blackout period when the migration is completed. During the migration period the Maven 1 build will no longer work so we will effectively halt any development in trunk.

Not exactly. The m1 build will still function, just it is not preferred... and use would be discouraged. Soon afterwards once we have the TCK up and everyone is happy (or happy enough) then the m1 build will be removed.

Development on trunk using m1 _should_ halt... and be replaced by development using m2... but by no means will the migration force anyone to halt for the initial steps.

Based on the commit log it doesn't really look like there is much going on now anyway so its probably not a huge issue. Looks like some folks have left trunk for branches or the sandbox which is unfortunate.

There is almost nothing going on in trunk right now except for merges from 1.1 that Sachin has been doing.

How long do you estimate that the work will take and what happens if its not completed before your vacation? I'm uncomfortable throwing M1 out if its going to be a three week conversion period. You may have answered this in the thread and if I missed it I apologize.

I'm taking a vacation? Where am I going? Do I need my bathing suite? :-P

The build with m2 works now. The "conversion period" would be the time it takes for me to merge m2migration back to trunk (and verify w/ bootstrap which takes ~30m or so on my laptop).

Using svk that should be maybe an hour. But lets say it will take a day for a nice 8x buffer.

I'm planning on merging with svk from svkmerge/m2migration to svkmerge/trunk and then from svkmerge/trunk to trunk. I've been doing the opposite to keep svkmerge/m2migration in sync with trunk periodically, which is mostly brainless and works flawlessly.

--jason