On Aug 6, 2006, at 2:09 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
* It's not possible to run "mvn clean" from the thirdparty/specs
directory -- it complains that there's no valid version of the clean
plugin

Why are you trying to clean from there? That is only used by bootstrap... never intended for any other use. Maybe bootstrap should delete that stuff when it is done.

* At one point it was claiming it was going to blacklist various
repositories because of problems getting an updated version of the
car-maven-plugin

Sounds like network issues... unrelated to this m2 work.

* I'd really like to avoid deleting the entire M2 repository as part
of the bootstrap.  Let's only clean out the geronimo-related stuff.
It shouldn't be too hard.  I do too many M2 builds and it takes too
long to redownload all the dependencies for all of those.

You only need to bootstrap once... and if you really won't want to clean, then you can skip it and run all of the steps by hand:

    bootstrap specs
    mvn -Dstage=bootstrap
    bootstrap openejb2
    mvn -Dstage=assemble

The bootstrap script only exists to help ensure that people get the same predictable results to validate the m2 build. This is a temporary script. There is no way to ensure that everyone gets the same predictable results with an existing repository. You could have manually installed bits, or built a local version of a plugin, etc. And those little things end up causing a headache to debug.

Anyways, so to really get a build that is highly likely to work as expected, we need to have a clean repo. We will eventually do away with the need... but right now as we transition for bootstrap it is critical that we don't waste a bunch of time digging into crazy user- local repo-related issues.

--jason