Anita, I am aware of this issue. I have not had time to resolve it completely.

More comments below...

On Aug 6, 2006, at 9:31 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:
The car-maven-plugin (trunk rev 429115) still does not add the
geronimo-plugin.xml file to the generated car. I had submitted a
working patch for the m2migration branch rev 425727 to include
geronimo-plugin.xml file to the zipped archive car. The patch was not
used, instead the plugin code was modified to add this
functionality.

I only added a few changes you had in the original patch since they were the only ones that could be added cleanly. As you mentioned, then functionality is still not there, so I really have issues with the last sentence above.

I do believe in experiments when they work.

Which means?

I will be happy to elaborate on this, if anyone is interested.  Could
someone else (PMC member or committer) please explain to me why the
patch can not be used as is.

Do you really want me to critique the original sources? I certainly can do that, but my feeling is that it will only add more fuel to this fire and leave both of us even more frustrated. I have already commented on several major issues with the code in previous emails.

It is a few lines of code that uses
geronimo code to do its work, hence AFAICT this is not about not
trusting the code written by a non committer/non IBMer.

Hrm... what?  How does this have anything to do with IBM?

I am amazed at the amount of effort being spent to rewrite the plugin without giving
any technical reason as to why it needs to be modified in the first
place !

I have posted several technical reasons why I did not take your work asis in my response to the last inflammatory email you posted on this subject. But, as I mentioned above if you would like a more comprehensive critique...

The original patch that added this functionality was submitted
on 19th June 06:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2067#action_12416768

When GERONIMO-2225 was filed, it became clear that there was interest
in adding this functionality to the plugin. I resubmitted the patch
for the m2migration branch on 27th July, 06:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2067#action_12416768

Give me a break... I was in the east coast for a week and then was camping for this weekend... and when I was working on m2migration I had several other issues to resolve on top of the issue which you supplied a patch for.

As expected the patch was not used, and a futile effort to rewrite the
code was made. I would really appreciate if some other committer/PMC
member could take a look at this code, and provide some technical
feedback about its shortcomings.

Yes you did submit a patch on July 27th... thank you. I fully intend to dig into that issue more, I just have not had time to do so yet. But I can tell you right now that I will most lilly not take the patch asis for the very same reasons why I had changed the plugin before.

--jason