Kevan Miller wrote:

On Aug 8, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

On 8/8/06, Kevan Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Inline...

On Aug 8, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> Here are the issues that bother me most in 1.1.1.  I believe they are
> all also issues in 1.1.
>
> DEPLOYMENT

> - Redeploy broken when module ID does not include a type (patch
> available)

> - Redeploy broken when module ID does not include a version and app
> uses JNDI (patch available)
>
> I also just found a deploy problem with web apps with a plan with no
> environment, but I haven't investigated much yet.

Why haven't the patches been committed? They need a Release Manager
go ahead? I certainly wouldn't classify either problem as a BLOCKER.
They could be fixed in 1.1.x.

They haven't been committed to 1.1.1 because the release manager nixed
it.  They'll be in 1.1.2 no matter what.

In any case, we clearly need to standardize our definition of blocker.
I think that quality issues can be blockers, and it sounds like you
don't.  Which is OK, I guess we just need some way to decide what
we're willing to ship with, whether that's a vote or the decision of
the release manager or whatever.  Probably more responses to this
thread would help.

Yes, I've noted a difference in our definitions for some time. Here are some definitions from the Jira system -- http://issues.apache.org/jira/ShowConstantsHelp.jspa?decorator=popup#PriorityLevels

I find the Priority Level definitions to be reasonably close to my own.
I also would prefer we stick to the JIRA definitions of priority, otherwise it will be too confusing.

Quality issues can be blockers, but your redeploy problems are not. I'd put them as Major or Minor. By the Jira definitions, they are Minor. Users have a pretty reasonable work-around (Redeploy fails, Users can easily undeploy, then deploy).

I put some SECURITY issues in the BLOCKER category. If a user has followed the rules and believes that he/she has properly secured some resource and Geronimo permits unauthorized/unauthenticated access to that resource, then that's a BLOCKER...

Agree.

There are some users who are waiting for the 1.1.1 release to fix bugs they have run into in 1.1. Instead of making them wait longer, I would prefer we aim to get 1.1.1 out with blockers fixed and no regressions or compliance issues. Releasing often enables our user base to start using our code (as they may have had been unable to do so in a previous release due to issues they hit) and possibly get more up to date feedback from the users for the next release.
These are only my views and it is the community that will decide.

Regards,
John
--kevan

> SECURITY

> - For a security realm with multiple login modules, we do not handle
> the JAAS Control Flags correctly (e.g. we do not call the login
> modules using the correct logic).  Code to reproduce available. Alan
> had claimed a predecessor to this issue; I'm not sure if he's planning
> on working on this one.

Does this problem allow unauthorized/unauthenticated access to
secured resources? If not, then I wouldn't categorize it as a BLOCKER.

> - For a web app, if the security url-patterns don't exactly match the
> servlet-mapping url-patterns, we apply no security at all.  Code to
> reproduce available.  Alan has claimed this issue.

That certainly seems like a must-fix BLOCKER to me...

> - Likely not still a problem (reported against M5), but if it is, it
> sounds serious.

Even if it does still exist, doesn't seem like a BLOCKER.