Hi Jason,

Did this ever get done? I'm +1 on releasing something (1.1, 1.0.1 1.0- oops whatever) since we are forced to build it after a complete bootstrap.

TTFN,

-bd-
On Aug 30, 2006, at 7:19 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

Well... it was actually released... and then pulled back... which is my fault.

But, I don't see any reason why 1.0 needs to be re-released. I've already updated the tree to use 1.1-SNAPSHOT and have been making changes to it to fix the noted problems as well as a few other enhancements... IMO it is much more confusing to look at the SVN logs and see that 1.0 was made from a 1.1-SNAPSHOT.

I think that the unfortunate practice of making a release then voting on it and then possibly re-cutting the same release is very poor. I'd much rather consider 1.0 dead and release 1.1 so that there is no confusion as to which is which.

In almost every other software project I have worked on, a release is cut, if there are changes, then a new revision is made and then a new release is cut for the changes. If you wanted to keep the 1.0 bits in there then 1.0-1 and then 1.0-2 is common practice for minor fix iterations.

While I can understand since the time to run the tck for the Geronimo server on the release binaries and then after that has run we vote... that the server release is a bit different. I don't think this needs to be or should be the case for other projects. I believe it is much, much better to test the latest SNAPSHOT, then vote to make the release and then make the release.

Anyways, I don't think that the version matters very much here. This is an internal project used to support internal builds. I don't expect anyone outside of Geronimo to even care. So, I still recommend that 1.0 is dead and next to be released w/proper oversight and vote is 1.1.

--jason