There are some issues using the cygwin compiler, mainly that the tests
won't pass as the sockets all break for strange reasons.  Although Mingw
isn't much better in this regard.  It did also seem to have trouble
compiling under cygwin on various machines for reason that I could never
explain (oh the joy of using Cygwin).  I've got no problem using it so
long as it works :)

I tried running the autogen.sh in my cygwin bash shell and this is what
I get

/usr/share/aclocal/pstoedit.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of
AM_PATH_PSTOEDIT
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/libmcrypt.m4:17: warning: underquoted definition of
AM_PATH_LIBMCRYPT
aclocal:configure.ac:43: warning: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in
library
aclocal:configure.ac:57: warning: macro `AM_PATH_CPPUNIT' not found in
library
configure.ac:52: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use
m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:66: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_CPPUNIT
autoreconf-2.5x: /usr/bin/autoconf-2.5x failed with exit status: 1

> Hey activemq-cpp folks.
>
> activemq-cpp should now compile fine under cygwin.  You may need to
> install all the right versions of autoconf and automake.
>
> Tim.. any chance I could convince you to switch to cygwin instead?  I
> tried as hard as I could to use mingw under automake but I could not
> find the right combination of packages needed to get everything happy.
>
> The automake systems seems to be working well across several different
> systems now, it supports running the unit tests and generating the
> docs so I think we should  switch to it as soon as possible.  (the
> only system that I have not tested was Solaris)

This may present some problems for people on older Solaris machines such
as Solaris 8, as there aren't really any distributions on newer versions
of the tools being maintained anymore.  It looks like it might be okay
on my Solaris 10 machine, but I'd have to install CPPUNIT first.

We are using CPP_UNIT 1.11.6 btw.