It's easy to tell you're not happy :-)
On Oct 29, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

On Oct 29, 2006, at 5:11 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
Just for the record, I like having a "post-processed" module format.
I wouldn't mind if it had XML data instead of serialized objects, but
I am not really in favor of throwing it away and making a standard
("pre-processed") J2EE JAR+DD+deployment plan into our official module
format.  So I'd rather find ways to make the CAR builds work right.
:)

<sarcasm>
Ya, I really love having config files tucked away in little objects zipped up in jar files. Ya, and then when I want to change some of that config... I really love how I have to rebuild the entire server... which is so easy... oh do I have the latest dependencies in my local repo, oh... it will only take a few hours to download, and pray my local repo does not have bunk metadata... and oh wait are all those deps on the snapshot repo... didn't some apache stuff crash again??!?
</sarcasm>

This seems to be a problem with all but the simplest m2 builds. I don't think you can blame the non-working snapshot problems on geronimo rather than maven.

CAR files are not simple from a users perspective, or from an application builders either. The only guy who things these are simple is the little gremlin that needs to load CARs into the server... which is great, we have pushed all of the complexity out of the server and into the build process, which I can certainly tell you had not simplified my life, as I have been chasing down CAR problems for weeks and weeks now.

How do CAR files make anyones job easier (except for that little gremlin that is)? How do CAR files simplify the configuration of a server? How do CAR files simplify building a custom application on top of Geronimo? How do they make building plugins any easier?! From what I have gathered so far, from the mailing list, and other complaints about car plugin failures and other mvn related muck... is that CAR files only worsen the situation, making G more complicated to configure and comprehend.

Months ago, when I came back to help on Geronimo... It took me weeks to discover where the configuration was for the ActiveMQ broker... and I just wanted to change one little attribute. And back then the m1 build would almost never make it 10 modules before it was puking on something, so I could not ever rebuild the server to change that one attribute.... and soon I gave up.

The complexity that is comes along with CARs, whether it be a users frustration about finding and changing configuration, or a developers frustration about why a CAR module build is failing... and needing to track down David Jencks, who seems like one of the only folks able to comprehend what's going on, or maybe your frustration when trying to get a plugin CAR build to include the correct server deps...

K.I.S.S and ditch the CARs.

But anyway, isn't there some way to get Maven to tell you why it's
chosen to download some particular module?  It gives you that nice
little "dependency trace" when it fails to find something, but I would
hope there's some debug mode where it shows that for everything...

No Aaron, this is not Maven anymore... 90% of CAR'ing is done from the Kernel. Only a very thin Maven veneer is used to setup the Kernel components and feed it some data. After that it is the little gremlins at work that do the rest... and they do not know anything about Maven, or Mavens dependency tree, or really even how to barf up intelligent error messages, or provide more debug intel with -X

I've recommended for a while that we align geronimo and maven dependencies, but this would cause complete disruption of the svn tree and build order, and I haven't heard anyone say that they think its a good idea before 1.2 is out. However, having them different causes major confusion in understanding the build and cars.

For example... CAR builds depend on artifacts which are not directly listed in the Maven projects pom.xml... the deployers, which the Kernel will do something with... and those deps need to be fully transitively resolved in the Maven repo before that will function correctly. None of those deps will show up in any Maven trace, as Maven knows absolutely nothing about them.

Well, they're pretty much like maven plugins, they're used in the build. Maybe there's some way to make them actually be maven plugins.

And if you add the deps for the deployers to your module... then the CAR gremlins start to do more muck with them, which often causes a CAR build to fail, even if you set the scope to provided... or was it test? I can't recall since we have bastardized the maven scope mechanism to add custom semantics to CAR dependencies.

Would configuring each deployer as a maven plugin solve this?

 * * *

I have heard from a few peeps, like you, that you don't want to get rid of CAR files... but I have yet to hear of any substantial reasons why they should stay. I have also heard from many other peeps about how they would like to see CAR files go away and be replaced by simple XML... which is what I am a major supporter of. I have on many occasions ranted about the issues I have with CAR files, the added complexity, blah, blah, blah...

Aaron did say he'd be happy with xml as the persistence format in a car file. Right now a car file can include both configuration and classes. If you want to eliminate this possibility we're going to have to have to give maven some classloaders that can load specified parts of a j2ee artifact such as an ear with wars and rars inside.

Where are the arguments for those few who are in favor of the CAR?

Perhaps we should also take a poll from our users... and see if they like having config compiled up into objects and zipped up and tossed in the repo... or if they would like a set of plain XML files? I wonder which they will choose...

You aren't saying much definite about what you are proposing, so I can't discuss the merits or problems with what you want, since I don't have a clue what it is, except that it involves xml. I'm not thrilled with xml configuration but I don't have any real problem with it. I still do like the idea of car files. I don't think that they need to be able to include classes, but that will require a lot of classloader magic to deal with actual j2ee artifacts in repos.

So, there are kind of 2 ideas behind geronimo modules, currently represented as car files. One is the idea of building a server adapted to a specific purpose by assembling prebuilt modules someone else created. The other is that, along the continuum from scripting languages to compiled languages, we want geronimo modules to be as compiled as possible to find as many problems as possible during "compiling" (deployment) and to make the resulting code run (starting the modules) as fast as possible, and to reduce the amount of infrastructure needed at runtime, and possibly to provide a security and authentication structure for module installation auditing.

I think that we are getting reasonably near the goal of being able to build lots of servers from prebuilt modules. Certainly the 4 servers we distribute are built out of nearly the same set of modules, and with the plugin stuff it's getting easier to add and remove modules from an existing server. While there is more to do I think this is one of the successes of geronimo.

If you accept this idea of a modular server, then the question is what should the modules look like. On the one hand you have jboss, which the last time I looked was heavily on the scripting end of the spectrum, starting from unprocessed xml descriptors and immediately constructing the runtime objects that will be the running server. On the other hand you have traditional j2ee servers that e.g. generate code for ejbs and compile it into a jar. The idea behind geronimo modules is to use deployers to turn whatever input is provided into persistable configuration information for services, and to save that configuration information in a standard format. So, for instance, in a plain gbean plan you can have specialized xml for login configuration, tss and css corba security configuration beans, and persistence units. They all get processed into GBeanDatas and get saved. J2EE artifacts typically have 2 sets of xml, the spec dds and a geronimo plan: these get combined into GBeanDatas and saved, again in a standard format. As a result, we can find a lot of problems while constructing a module before its installed anywhere, and we don't need any of the deployment infrastructure available when we need to actually start the module.

I'm very attached to the ideas of a modular server and separation of deploy-time and runtime activities. I'm not particularly attached to the particular format of car files or the persisted configuration data, or the current limitation that all modules have to be in the same format.

I think that there are a lot of good ideas for the future here but that most of them will take a really lot of work and discussion to get right and working properly. I also think that these ideas won't do anything to alleviate some of the problems you mentioned, such as the disconnect between maven's view of dependencies and geronimo's view of dependencies: if we could line them up then a lot of geronimo- specific configuration would be unnecessary or completely generated from poms. I think starting with things we can do now, incrementally, without massive code disruption, will lead more quickly to a server our users are happy with. I'm really reluctant to start on another massive refactoring of everything in geronimo: the last time we tried that (version independence) it took 6 months during which we got just about no new features.

thanks
david jencks

--jason