Ever since we got close to having an m2 build we've been having problems with the car plugin overloading the maven scopes to mean something in geronimo. This has caused endless problems, the latest of which is that in order to be able to use the car plugin outside geronimo, you have to have built geronimo on that machine so all the geronimo bits you need are sure to be there. In more detail this is caused by the use of the provided scope to mean "don't stick this dependency in the environment". So, if you mark a builder car as provided so it won't get stuck in the environment, maven won't download all the bits it needs to run.

This is all caused by our attempt to build the environment plan element from the pom. The main reason I wanted to do that was to be sure that if you mentioned something in the environment, maven would make sure it was available. So, maybe it's time to take a more direct approach:

How about changing the plugin so it doesn't generate the environment element, but instead verifies that all the environment dependencies are mentioned in the pom? Among other things this will give easier control over which versions are included in the environment element.

The other possible solutions to this problem I have thought of are:

-- get maven to have an extensible scope system or allow dependency annotations like you could do in maven 1. I think there's no chance of this happening before geronimo 3, but I could be wrong.

-- copy the environment dependencies into the car plugin configuration. I think this would end up being harder to deal with than validating the environment against the pom.

-- write a maven project that just has dependencies on all geronimo artifacts included in any geronimo assembly, so you can build it and all the bits will be around for the car plugin to use.

Thanks to gnodet for pointing out this problem and discussing possible solutions.

Any thoughts?

thanks