I think voting on svn source for small projects / jars is good,
because people can build them locally, check that everything
is ok (for legal reasons), and vote.  This is much more difficult
for Geronimo server, of course, and may not be applied.

This works well, I think, if the release process is just
  mvn release:prepare release:perform
which should be the case for all projects ideally.
The benefit is that the jars will be deployed to their final destination
as part of the relase, without having to tweak / corrupting maven
repository metadata by copying from a staging repo.