I think the decision should depend to some degree on whether the
module is tightly integrated such that it needs to be re-released for
every Geronimo release.  I'm not sure about the directory plugin, but
I think a lot of plugins that involve third-party software probably
don't need to be re-released for every Geronimo maintenance release --
and may be more dependent on new revisions of the third-party software
than on new revisions of Geronimo.  That would suggest they should be
maintained outside the Geronimo trunk to me.

Thanks,
     Aaron