Hi Jacek, Thanks for reviewing....

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
On 1/17/07, Tim McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Here's the link to the URL diagrams: http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/jsr-88-12.html

They're nice! What UML tool do you use?

Rational Software Architect v7 (it's much improved over v6)

-- The first is just a diagram of the pertinent high-level use cases for JSR-88 1.2

I'm not sure how one can call it helpful - too many lines here and there ;-)

Well, it's primarily meant to identify the categories of use cases for each of
the major interfaces
which perform deployment, and hopefully to catch anything obviously that would
be missed when
testing the JSR-88 changes. So in that sense they are useful to me in any case.

-- Geronimo will then update the deployment descriptor tags in the XML accordingly and then
set the Metadata-Complete tag

I assume that you mean <metadata-complete> (all lower case) tag?

Yes

-- Finally, during installation of module, Geronimo will invoke Tomcat's AnnotationProcessor implementation and pass it the array of annotations that have been discovered, and Tomcat's AnnotationProcessor will handle handle those runtime-type annotations (e.g., PreDestory, PostConstruct, etc...) without corresponding deployment descriptor tags. Note also that
Tomcat's AnnotationProcessor handles the resource injection as well.

That's the only question I meant to have asked after having taken a
look at the UML diagram, but you seem to explain it more clearly here.
Just to make sure I'm really following - you mean the processor which
comes with Tomcat, don't you? Does it come with processAnnotations
method or you hope it will?

Yes Tomcat has its own AnnotationProcessor with a processAnnotations method

-- Is this a pattern that can be consistently used for other builders as well like Jetty, Axis,
OpenEJB, Web Services, etc ??

I think so.

-- Is it reasonable to assume that these other components will have their own AnnotationProcessor implementation (like Tomcat) that can be invoked by Geronimo during deployment ??

If no processor is available the process will proceed further, won't
it? Should we care whether or not such processors are provided by the
external services Geronimo hosts?

These are not very constructive comments for you, but let me
understand it more clearly and hopefully will lead to some other ideas
of yours ;-)

Your comments have been very constructive--again thanks for reviewing....

Jacek

Tim McConnell