This is how I see it. The apps in geronimo/server/trunk/applications
should be the ones that are absolutely required by the server. Eg:
console, welcome app etc.

The optional apps like servlet-examples, jsp-examples should be moved
elsewhere to a samples directory or project. There is no need to build
these samples every time we build the server. This will greatly reduce
our build time.

Next, I don't know why we make "car" out some of these example apps.
If we need to include a few of them in the assembly, we should just
"deploy" them.

Lastly, there is the Q about where the optional samples end up:

1. geronimo/server/trunk/samples
   Pros:
     a) samples version closely tied with the server.

  Cons:
    a) increases the time it takes to download the server tree
unnecessarily. (svn checkout)
    b) have to use a separate profile to build them. More pom.xml
maintenance. This is assuming the fact that we don't build "car" for
these. If we have to build "car" too, then the story becomes more
complex.

2. geronimo/samples/trunk
    Pros:
    a) separate tree built and published separately.
    b) the server tree now builds faster.
    c) if assemblies need to include it, just add the artifact as a dependency.

    Cons:
    a) have to keep the version of this project in synch with the
version of the server. (Not really a big deal, similar to what we
could with specs). This means keeping the plans and DD updated with
every server release.

With every server release, we have broken the samples on the wiki
page. The plans and DD have changed  and we have not kept that
updated.

Cheers
Prasad