On Feb 11, 2007, at 6:12 PM, Tim McConnell wrote:

HI Dain, thanks for reviewing. Yes, you're right--I am scanning all the classes in the web module for annotations, which might be excessive. I'll take a look at the OpenEJB AnnotationDeployer and DeploymentLoader classes tomorrow and see if I can discern the technique you mention (and then try to emulate it). If I have questions, which is likely, I'll ask. Thanks much

It's pretty easy. Essentially I made it so ClassFinder can be constructed with a var-arg list of classes (may also support a plain List, can't remember). When that is done it only searches that set for annotations and doesn't do the whole asm routine to come up with a list of annotated classes.

And now that I mention it, if you were to shift to that style of annotation searching you could disregard the comment I made earlier about constructing the ClassFinder exactly once per codebase -- if you could pretty much construct them and throw them away as you like.

As far as the patch, there's nothing in there that can't be easily fixed and we're all on the same page, so I can check it in and you can work on your updates or I can wait for a revised patch. Whichever is easiest for you. Let me know.

-David

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
Are you sure you must scan all classes in the web module for @EJB annotations? I don't think it is necessary or what you want to do. I believe that you should only be checking specific classes for the annotation such as all known servlets. This is how we process annotations for EJBs. First we find all EJBs, either listed in the ejb-jar.xml or found by scanning for @Stateless, @Stateful and @MessageDriven. Once we have the list of EJBs we check each class for the presence of the @EJB annotation. In your case, I believe you are scanning for all classes that have the @EJB annotation which will be a much larger number of classes then just the servlets. This over processing of classes can easily lead to naming conflicts. Also, I do not believe that servlet 2.5 has an @Servlet annotation, so I don't think you have to do any general purpose scanning like EJB module must do, which should make web deployment much more efficient. Other than that, the patches look good :) One minor thing to note is we don't use prefixes such as "m_" for variables.
Good job,
-dain