Hi Isuru,

This one of my ideas want to share with you since it looks you have good experience in Axis2 & web services stuff (anyway I haven't done any preliminary investigation stuff relating to this idea so don't know exactly what kind of barriers have to face in such implementation too). Here is my rough idea (I hope you will get much better web services related ideas than this from Geronimo list considering your WS related experience ;-) ).

As a J2EE/JEE application server Geronimo provides services like EJB, JMS etc. to multi tier applications. Some of these services are using RMI/CORBA as there underlying communication protocol between the server application & clients. Can we replace RMI/CORBA with web services for such J2EE services? It will give user more consistent service access interface and eliminate port open issues etc. I have seen this idea has implemented successfully for JDBC services and eliminating JDBC drivers from client side in some of UG final year projects.

Also we have to consider will this kind of implementation benefit Geronimo since it is not a part of J2EE/JEE5 specs to my understanding. :-)

HTH,
Lasantha Ranaweera
Isuru Suriarachchi wrote:
Hi all,

I'm an undergraduate student of the Computer Science and Engineering department at University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanaka, which is the leading computer engineering faculty in Sri Lanka. I'm interested in doing a project on Apache/Geronimo for the Google Summer of Code 2007 competition.

By now I have been working on Apache Axis2/Java for more than 5 months. I received the Apache Axis2 Committership for implementing JSON Support for Axis2. I have posted an article on this implementation with more details at http://wso2.org/library/768 . I think I have gained reasonable amount of experiences in open source development through working on this Apache projects.

So I'm really pleased if someone can suggest me a project idea for GSOC. I think I will be able to do it well if my proposal will be selected.

Thanks in advance,
Isuru Suriarachchi.