I'm not sure if/when we've faced this in the past but I'd be comfortable with:
- moving code to plugins
- announcing it on the dev list
- in 3-7 days pushing a snapshot if there are no major objections

Sounds ok. I would expect that we'd have had some advanced warning before the code had been moved into plugins... With such advance notice, I'd say 3 day lazy consensus period is quite adequate.

This is somewhat akin to adding a new module to Geronimo server and "deploying" the new jar file to a snapshot repository. Major difference is people tend to watch server development a bit more closely...