On Aug 6, 2007, at 8:12 AM, David Jencks wrote:

I certainly agree with your goal but am less sure about your proposed naming and organization. Also from looking at your list it took me a couple minutes to figure out what is removed from "server"

I've been thinking that we could proceed by turning bits of the server into plugins. For instance I was planning to turn the directory bits I commented out recently into a plugin this week. I think we could fairly easiiy turn jetty, tomcat, and openejb into plugins. I wonder if, after turning the "easy stuff" into plugins what we will think about reorganizing the remaining stuff.

So then the question might be how to organize the plugins?

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but I'd like to backup the idea of pulling things out one at a time, like we did with connector and transaction, making them plugins if possible. It would be really great if people do things like upgrade OpenEJB when a new release came out -- which we're hoping is often.

Do you know of any other bits which we can pull out nowish (or with a wee bit of work)?

I'd really like to get the kernel and muck sucked out, but I've got a feeling that is a hugeish taskotron.

--jason