The intent of this thread is to discuss the default log level for the Geronimo server. I'd like to limit the discussion to the near-term (e.g. Geronimo 2.0.x). IMO, we need a good overhaul of our logging code. I'd like to see more structure and consistency in our logging. However, that's not a 2.0.x issue.

The current default log level for a Geronimo 2.0.1 server is ERROR. IMO, this is too restrictive. I think we should set the default to INFO. This will make our server logging more verbose. However, I'd rather have too much information, rather than too little.

I think our default target audience should be application developers and new users evaluating Geronimo. Currently, these users are forced to configure log levels to INFO, so that they can obtain necessary information for building and deploying applications on Geronimo. This information should be available by default, not requiring configuration...

Users who want to limit the logging output can reconfigure the default logging levels, once they are more comfortable with Geronimo.

Comments?