On Sep 17, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

Paul,

In the new admin console, do the web applications (that provide
portlets) need to share Spring version/configuration with the Pluto
config module? What if each web application had its own Spring jars?
Would that work?

Actually the portlet webapps don't need to share Spring, they need to share Pluto. Pluto needs to be in a parent configuration for those webapps so that they can know about each other's portlets via the classloader. The tricky part here is that Pluto uses Spring internally for configuration and needs for it to be in the same classloader as the Pluto jars. So this is not a clear cut case of apps needing to share Spring but rather apps needing to share something that depends on Spring. In fact this might be a more common scenario than sharing Spring itself since nowadays many components use Spring for configuration.

Moving the Spring filters to cxf-deployer is better from the
modularity point of view (and I'm all for it) but the end results will
be the same in this case. I think Kevan's idea might be the best
solution here.

The end results here being that Spring-based webapps that contain web services would inherit cxf's copy of Spring? Or that cxf could not use Spring to configure itself? Or something else? I'm still not clear on what breaks or becomes more difficult if we move the filter to cxf-deployer or remove it altogether.

I'm wondering if we can target our solution only at assemblies that contain cxf since the current solution affects the minimal and axis based assemblies where it may not be needed. I guess that's in line with your comment about modularity, and I agree with you and Kevan that a new classloader knob for deployment plans is probably the best way to accomplish this.

Best wishes,
Paul