On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:07 AM, Gianny Damour wrote:

Hi Matt,

Yes: I would like to add this dependency from the Eclipse Foundation to a config so that it gets included in the assemblies:

        <dependency>
            <groupId>aspectj</groupId>
            <artifactId>aspectjrt</artifactId>
            <version>1.5.2a</version>
        </dependency>

My understanding is that the AspectJ tools are provided under the "Eclipse Public License Version 1.0" license: http:// www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html

At this stage, I would like to simply change the licensing files of the config: * mofify the NOTICE.txt to include a one liner pointing to the EPL; and * add a LICENSE-EPL-V10.txt, which is a CC of http:// www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html.

However, I am not sure that we can include AspectJ jars in the assemblies.

Hi Gianny,
It's fine to include EPL-licensed binaries. EPL-licensed source code would be a problem, however. FYI -- an overview of OS licenses and categorization with regard to Apache projects can be found here -- http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html

I would prefer that you not create a separate LICENSE-EPL file. We currently aggregate all license information in our LICENSE.txt file. I'd prefer that we maintain this practice until we change our handling for all 3rd party licenses.

The NOTICE file needs to inform users how to obtain aspectj source code (this is a provision of the EPL). Typically this is accomplished with a url to the project web site.

Although the geronimo-wadi module would conceptually "contain" the EPL-licensed artifact, it's actually the assembly that contains the artifact. So, updating the license/notice files in the configs/ geronimo-wadi directory would not be appropriate. Instead, you need to update trunk/LICENSE.txt (and NOTICE.txt) as well as trunk/ assemblies/geronimo-boilerplate-minimal/src/main/underlay/LICENSE.txt (and NOTICE.txt).