Ah..  #2 in your list above hadn't registered well. Sorry.

Anyways, I get it now. But I'll still answer your questions below.

Cheers
Prasad

On 10/11/07, David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2007, at 10:07 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
>
> > So in summary, do we keep the lists mutually exclusive ?
>
> You've said mutually exclusive a couple of times and I don't
> understand why.  The list of dependencies in the c-m-p configuration
> has to be a subset of the dependencies in the maven configuration.
> This is required by maven to get the build order right.  What do you
> mean by mutually exclusive?

Mutually exclusive is using either the maven dependencies or c-mp
configuration deps but not both. This is what we have at present. The
current <useMavenDep> option makes it mutually exclusive.

> > Paul, do you
> > still see a need for a merge/override option ?
>
> I do.

Now I see it. Based on #2 in your note, there is an override option.
So this means we will "merge" the list from maven deps and the c-m-p.
Some deps in the c-m-p may override the ones in the maven deps but the
other deps will be used as is.

> > If so, I'll slowly deprecate the <useMavenDependency> option. Since
> > almost all configs have now been converted to plugins, I think it is
> > time we used the maven dependencies as default anyways. The presence
> > of any dependencies in the c-m-p configuration will make the c-m-p use
> > those deps only and exclude all maven deps.
>
> This is decidedly different from what I thought you proposed and what
> I thought was a good idea.  I thought you proposed always using all
> the qualifying maven dependencies (i.e. leave out provided and test,
> as at present) but modify the <import> type based on the c-m-p
> configuration.

This is still on the same veins, where the presence of deps in the
c-m-p will obviate the need for a separate <useMavenDep> option.