On Oct 23, 2007, at 9:08 PM, Tim McConnell wrote:

Hi everyone, I have a couple questions I'd like to discuss about the Geronimo Eclipse plugin:

1. How many versions of the Geronimo server should we continue to simultaneously support in the Geronimo Eclipse plugin ?? 2. What level of support should we provide in the Eclipse plugin for the Geronimo 1.2 Beta ??

My thoughts and/or opinions are as follows (simply to start the discussions):

1. The plugin now has support for four Geronimo releases (i.e., 1, 1.1.1, 1.2, and 2.0). I would like to support only three versions at a time. This would still allow an upward migration path for people who want to migrate their projects from older to new versions (which is apparently one of the major reasons for providing support for multiple versions to begin with). I feel though that support for only three versions at a time would facilitate a more stable (and smaller) code base, it would mitigate some of the test scenario permutations inherit with multiple version support, and ease the implementation transitions from one release of the GEP to another. We've had and continue to have difficulties supporting the Geronimo 2.0.2 deployment plans in the GEP, which I'm confident will finally be rectified in the next maintenance release of the GEP, but it's only exacerbated by supporting so many versions.

Can you define what you mean by "version"? Currently we have a major.minor[.service-level] release number scheme. By "release" do you mean major number (e.g "2.0") or minor number (e.g. 2.0.1 and 2.0.2) releases?

Personally, I think it's just fine to support only one back-level major.minor release (N-1) and the current major.minor releases (N). Using a 2.1 release as a hypothetical example. IMO, the GEP could support 2.1, and 2.0. Using the same methodology, a 2.0.2 GEP release would support 2.0 and 1.1 (I see no reason to support 1.0 at this point).

I think we'd want to be practical, here. Time between releases may be a factor. Also, usage should be a factor in deciding what releases to support. We currently expect our users to migrate to G 2.0.x. We don't plan on any new 1.1.x releases. This may change over time. If a large number of users are on a back-level release, we may want to maintain support for the back-level release, even if it would violate the precedence we're defining here...

2. I would like to start to untangle some of the interdependencies we now have with the various features in the plugin in the upcoming GEP maintenance release. I know very little about the Geronimo 1.2 Beta, but I get the sense that it is more of a "one-off" rather than a nature progression from 1.1.1 to 2.0.x, and I just wonder though how much the 1.2 support in the plugin is really being used. If it's not being used, I would actually like to remove the 1.2 Beta code from the plugin in the upcoming maintenance release for the reasons I've mentioned above.

I wouldn't characterize 1.2 as a "one-off", it was a natural progression from 1.1 to 2.0. We ran into some bugs preparing for a 1.2 release. Since most of our focus was on a 2.0 release, the 1.2 issues never got resolved. At this point, I don't expect that we'll have a "1.2" release. I think you can skip 1.2-beta.