David Jencks wrote:

On Nov 6, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

David Jencks wrote:
Moving the boilerplate and framework assembly into framework might make it simpler to see how to construct custom servers and check that the framework assembly only has what it should inside.
Thoughts?

I'm ok with it in either location.

If it is moved then it would be valuable if we could modify the build to automatically include everything under configs in the assembly. That way there would be no doubt that it included exactly what should be in framework.

That might not be appropriate. In fact I think we should trim the framework assembly further by removing the geronimo-gbean-deployer config. _Maybe_ we can assemble all the configs in framwork with the bootstrap gbean deployer..... in which case maybe your idea would work. I think the most important thing about the framework assembly is to keep it small :-)

No doubt that we want to keep it small. I just just trying to come up with a way to prevent errors when removing things from the /framework directory but leaving them in the assembly and vice-versa (to ensure the framework assembly only included what was necessary).

IIUC, the purpose of the /framework directory is to contain only core items required for the framework assembly. So if we could build the assembly based upon the plugins in /framework/configs we should have just what we need. We can still trim the size by moving items from /framework/configs to /plugins which (if automated) would result in removing the plugin from the framework assembly.

... just an idea ...

Joe