I guess you could write a ModuleBuilderExtension that modified web.xml to add the filter and appropriate filter mapping. I think you'd need to do the work in the initContext method. I'm not sure if I'd call this method "good" or not but its all I can think of right now.

In the createModule method you can add the jar containing your filter to the dependencies so the web app can actually find the filter...

hope this helps
david jencks