It was mainly for things like "this plugin needs you to hook it up to
a database" where we can't reasonably provide a database -- you have
to set up a DB instance and a connection pool with the right name and
then the plugin will install.  Or it could be a dependency on a
proprietary driver or product where we can't distribute that product
as a plugin dependency.  I can think of a number of cases where there
wouldn't be a way for us to provide a one-size-fits-all dependency.

Thanks,
       Aaron