Wow!  Either you're pretty sharp or you really need a faster machine!  :)

I think the main issue was that the console expected to be able to
cast GBean references to some helper interface in order to start and
stop individual GBeans and get a GBean's name and things like that.
And the proxies provided implementations of that interface that the
"plain" GBean references did not.  I think we made wide use of that
before realizing that it might be desirable to eliminate it.

Was the workaround just to call kernel methods to get the GBean name
and start and stop instead?

Thanks,
        Aaron