--- David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Viet Nguyen wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > There was a recent discussion on whether the monitoring plugin
> should
> > use JMX or MEJB to fetch Geronimo's statistics. Since we want to be
> > able to monitor any type of Geronimo server, including little-G, it
> is
> > not preferred that we have to pull in OpenEJB in order to monitor
> that
> > server. Therefore, the JMX method looks like a potential
> alternative,
> > because I do not think it will need to pull in any additional
> > components.
> >
> > The idea of using JMX and MEJB is the same, and that is, we want to
> > get a hold of the MBeanServer to query that for statistics.
> >
> > The concept of MEJB was defined in JSR-77, which is the only reason
> > am hesitant to start migrating over to using the JMX method. Should
> we
> > strictly follow the JSR? or should we branch off and customize a
> > little?
> >
> > Any thoughts or comments?
>
> My impression (not based on any inside info whatsoever) is that the
> MEJB was introduced largely because for some reason the jsr77 spec
> team didn't want to require jmx in j2ee -- this was well before jmx
> was added to j2se.

   Um, not quite.. According to JSR77.7.1.1 JMX requirements -
"The MEJB component exposes the manageable resources on a J2EE platform
as JMX Managed Beans (MBeans) and requires an implementation of the JMX
public APIs specified by the Java Management Extensions Instrumentation
and Agent Specification, v1.1."
 It could be that MEJB is well suited for writing management
tools designed to manage heavy duty servers with clustering
capabilities. JMX will be sufficient for little-G. I am OK with
switching to JMX. We MUST use JSR77 stats, i.e. use getStats() on
J2EEManagedObjects and resist the temptation to get to raw MBeans
directly.

 I don't see any problem using jmx for monitoring

> geronimo servers.  If we want to be able to also monitor other
> servers we could keep the MEJB-using code around for that purpose.

+1

Thanks
Anita

> my opinion :-)