Right, the doc in the wiki about the extensible admin console was really only helpful for Manu's followup to your question. The mutipage portlet code you referred to is internal to the admin console and afaik is not documented anywhere nor is it intended to be exposed as an externally supported api. Creating an admin console extension does not require you to implement your portlet this way.

Paul