Hi Dave, thanks for bringing this up. For the 2-tier remote web server I'm figuring a web catalog scenario with tons of images and static text. I would rather serve all that static content from a different server. Same approach applies to the remote DB scenario. I guess if one has a centralized DB on a remote dedicated server and a remote web server as well you could still call it 3-tier.
Either way, I'll look more in detail to the 3-tier scenario and see how to
update it.

Cheers!
Hernan

David Jencks wrote:
I was looking at the 2.1 docs at http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC21/Installation+and+configuration#Installationandconfiguration-Changingthedefaultportnumbers

and saw the section on topology planning.  I don't understand some of it.

The two tier example differs from the three tier example only in missing the database. This seems wrong to me. I thought two-tier normally referred to the situation where the web layer and ejb/business layer were in the same server and three tier referred to the situation where the web layer and ejb/business layer were on different machines. I kind of doubt there are many useful applications that don't use a database of some kind, especially ejb applications.

Furthermore I thought that it was widely believed that three-tier solutions are usually a bad idea compared to running everything on every server in a farm or clustered configuration, so I wonder what the evidence for advantages to three tier is.

Is there some performance data demonstrating that serving static content from httpd is faster than serving it from jetty or tomcat? I'm certainly not a web designer or administrator but it would seem to me that you'd want significant speed improvements to counter the nuisance of having to manage your web site in two pieces.

thanks