On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 6:55 PM, David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>  Even with the a streamlined process involving a tomcat server portlet and
>>> using the tomcat6 plugin as a base, the user still has to become a plugin
>>> developer to deploy their valve on geronimo.  If that's how it has to be,
>>> then I suppose that's how it has to be.  I'm just concerned that it could
>>> turn off users that might have otherwise lived happily with geronimo.  I'm
>>> not really sure how widespread the use of custom valves are, though, so
>>> maybe it's just a small minority this would even effect.  I'd be curious to
>>> get some feedback from some other developers and see if they have any
>>> thoughts on the matter.  Anyone else out there keeping an eye on this
>>> thread?
>>>

>> I've been keeping an eye on it and I agree with you Jason that there is a
>> disparity in the work required to add a valve to tomcat versus that required
>> to add a valve to tomcat embedded in Geronimo.  I also agree with David that
>> the current Tomcat process does not lend itself to a reproducible
>> configuration.
>>
>> In cases like this I tend to think like a politician and advocate a
>> both/and rather than an either/or.  I suspect that some users will want
>> things in Geronimo to be as similar to Tomcat as possible ... and so will
>> want a simple configuration solution.  Doing so might convince them to move
>> over to Geronimo and over time they may gain a greater appreciation for a
>> more Geronimo like solution.  Others might be coming in with more knowledge
>> of Geronimo and expect something that is more consistent with Geronimo and
>> can be reproduced.  Can we give them both what they want?
>>
>> It seems like we could help the Tomcat centric folks with a simple
>> configuration attribute that we can use to extend the classpath.  For the
>> more sophisticated Geronimo user we can direct them to rebuild/redeploy the
>> Tomcat module with the additional dependency on the valve jar ... perhaps
>> using c-m-p and then their own custom assembly. Even while providing the
>> first approach we can highly recommend the second approach.
>>
>> It seems to me that the attribute/classpath extension is a simple thing to
>> implement and will provide a high level of value to users that are
>> accustomed to Tomcat.  The Tomcat module rebuild/redeploy is just a matter
>> of documentation ... correct?
>>

> I guess I'm trying to argue that we should be making doing the "right
> thing" as easy as modifying tomcat to have a custom valve.
>
> I'm not convinced we're all that far off:
>
> tomcat -stop server
> geronimo - server restart may be needed later.
>
> tomcat - add jar to server/lib (?)
> geronimo - add jar to repository
>
> tomcat - edit server.xml
> geronmo -edit tomcat6 plam.xml
>
> geronimo - add artifact-alias (this could probably be automated into part
> of the next step).  Basically this should be editing the
> geronimo-plugin.xml.
> geronimo - deploy modified tomcat6 plan.xml, resulting in a new plugin.

I seem to be having issues with this step.  It's probably something I'm
doing, though.  Is there a good example of the artifact-alias element in
action?  My issue seems to be that I can't disable the tomcat6 plugin
because modules that are dependent upon it restart it automatically when the
server is started.  At least, this is what I believe is happening.  This
results in port conflicts and such when my custom tomcat6 module is
started.  Shouldn't the artifact-alias be pointing the dependent modules to
the  custom module instead of the default tomcat6 plugin?  If not, perhaps
that's functionality we should add.  It's possible I'm specifying the
artifact-alias incorrectly or in the wrong place, which is why I'm asking
for an example where this is done.  I see it mentioned a few times in the
documentation, but it's usually either out of context or not detailed
enough.

Thanks!

--
~Jason Warner