comments inline...

--- On Mon, 12/1/08, Jarek Gawor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: Jarek Gawor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GERONIMO-4229
To: "Geronimo Dev" <dev@geronimo.apache.org>
Date: Monday, December 1, 2008, 5:33 PM

Hi,

I was looking at GERONIMO-4229 today (please see the bug and my
comments for details). There is a remaining issue with the
GERONIMO_BASE property and what it does. The Java system property that
it sets is not used anywhere in the code and therefore that property
is useless.  I have a couple of ideas what we can do with it or how to
fix it:

1) Totally get rid off GERONIMO_BASE in the shell scripts. It doesn't
do anything right now anyway and it just confuses people. People that
want to use multiple server instances will need to pass
"org.apache.geronimo.server.dir" or
"org.apache.geronimo.server.name"
property using the GERONIMO_OPTS env. property (as it is documented
today).

+1

Thanks
Anita

or

2) Keep GERONIMO_BASE but only pass "org.apache.geronimo.server.dir"
property (to the java process) if the user has set the GERONIMO_BASE
env. property explicitly. That is, do not set GERONIMO_BASE property
automatically within the script as it is done now. If it would be
automatically set, the "org.apache.geronimo.server.name" property
(passed via GERONIMO_OPTS) would always be ignored.

Thoughts?

Jarek