Will file locking work across all OS and filesystem combinations
reliably?  Wondering about Windows/exFAT and Unix/NFS shares....

Another way is to use *.pid files to hold the server process id or
something like *.rmi or *.jmx files to denote the ports that servers are
listening on.

Maybe building something into the Felix shell to track instances would
be another solution?

-Donald