On Apr 17, 2013, at 3:22 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in org.apache.xbean.finder.UrlSet#getUrls we rely on META-INF (or "") to find
> jars. There are cases where it doesn't work at all (a common case where i saw
> it is when you only have META-INF/MANIFEST.MF which is consider for a single
> entry and not META-INF then MANIFEST.MF - depends the build tool/zip format
> if i understood correctly)
>
> the question are:
> 1) do we getresources("META-INF/MANIFEST.MF") too
> 2) why not simply querying the classloader which is very very often an
> URLClassLoader -> if (yes) return Arrays.asList(classLoader.getURLs()); else
> currentImpl;
>
> The 2 seems less correct but in practise i think it is more efficient - we
> can do both too (testing URLClassLoader and if not adding MANIFEST.MF listing)
>
> wdyt?

Hi Romain,
I'd be interested in some examples. What tools/jars don't contain a META-INF?
But contain META-INF/MANIFEST.MF?

Anyway, given that they (tools/jars) evidently exist, I guess 2) is ok. As you
say, it may be faster. Concern will be about changing the behavior. But if we
get sufficient testing, should be ok…