+1 (preview)

Gianluca Sartori
--
https://dueuno.com

On Sun, 23 Aug 2026 at 18:47, James Daugherty via dev <[email protected]>
wrote:

> This topic came up again this week: while trying to test Grails with
> Groovy 6 (to ensure we can have a smooth upgrade when it releases).
> Micronaut releases don't currently have any such support and fail on
> Groovy 6.  I'd like to start a vote thread on moving the Micronaut
> related functionality out of grails-core into its own repo so it
> doesn't continue to hinder Grails Version upgrades.  Not just because
> of the Groovy version, but it's a real problem that we have to choose
> between libraries that Micronaut upgrades vs Spring upgrades.  We've
> already had to make decisions related to CVEs that could leave
> applications vulnerable.
>
> I'd like to propose we do this as of Grails 8 - so have it working for
> the initial Grails 8 release, and then rely on the community if
> support continues.  If we can get support, then we can continue to
> support it in a laggard manner, but I don't want it to hold back
> Grails.
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2026 at 10:03 AM James Fredley <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >
> > At the end of the day, someone that uses Micronaut in Grails will have
> to step up to maintain it.  It will be moving off grails-core into it's own
> repo.  James and I have put hundreds of hours into this and we are unsure
> that more than 1 company is using it, given only one stated that it was
> broken months after the Grails 7 release.  The Spring Boot solution works
> great for the declarative http client.
> >
> > On 2026/06/16 13:06:46 James Daugherty wrote:
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > For the last 2 weekly meetings we have discussed the problems of
> > > integrating Micronaut & Spring.  Both James Fredley & I have spent a
> > > significant amount of time ensuring Micronaut continues to work with
> > > Grails.  While we have a solution for Grails 8, we don't think we can
> > > continue this support without a champion to help in this area. Here
> > > are the problems we've encountered:
> > >
> > > 1. Micronaut & Spring are updating dependencies at a different pace.
> > > This is really our core issue.  For example, in Spring Boot 3.5.x
> > > Netty was updated to 4.1.x, while Micronaut jumped to 4.2.x.  These
> > > version mismatches introduce hard incompatibilities which makes us
> > > choose which framework to prefer.  Because Spring chose the lower
> > > version, we were forced to choose Netty 4.1.x, which meant that the
> > > Micronaut version had to be kept at a lower version.  During 8.0's
> > > development, this was even more extreme due to the Micronaut 5.x
> > > development.
> > >
> > > 2. The downgrading of dependencies means CVEs in our dependent
> > > libraries often will exist and we will be unable to update.  This is a
> > > huge blocker for us.  We can't release insecure software.  Without
> > > members on either the Micronaut or Spring teams, we can't really help
> > > resolve these issues.  Micronaut has been helpful in updating
> > > libraries when we request, but we don't think it's reasonable to ask
> > > them to downgrade - we're not involved in their framework development.
> > >
> > > 3. Micronaut made the decision to jump all the way to Java 25 in
> > > Micronaut 5, even though 21 is still supported.  Spring made the
> > > decision to support all the way back to 21.  We had discussed going to
> > > 25, but we wanted to choose the minimum JVM version that would be
> > > supported for the life expectancy of Grails 8 (so we chose 21).  This
> > > means that the micronaut portions of our build have to be built with
> > > Java 25, while the rest is built with Java 21.  This is another huge
> > > issue for us because the ASF Security team requires reproducible
> > > builds.  Which means a significant amount of work had to go into our
> > > verification process to support this divergence.
> > >
> > > 4. We have not seen significant contributions to the Micronaut support
> > > in Grails.  Only James Fredley & James Daugherty have been evolving
> > > it.  Without a champion to help with these problems, we are spending
> > > too much of our time on Micronaut and not enough on other core
> > > priorities (i.e. Hibernate 7).
> > >
> > > 5. We believe there are a low number of users still using the
> > > Micronaut support and thus the effort to continue this support is
> > > higher than the reward.
> > >
> > > This email is meant to start a wider discussion: we want to move the
> > > micronaut support into a side repository.  If we can find a champion
> > > to help maintain it, then we can keep publishing it separate from
> > > Grails.  Otherwise, we will eventually archive that integration and
> > > abandon it.
> > >
> > > -James
> > >
>

Reply via email to