Since there will always be bugs found and fixed in 8.0.1+, we should fix waht we can on https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aopen+milestone%3Agrails%3A8.0.0 and then call the vote. No reason to hold up the release since 100% of the time we will fix bugs on 8.0.1+.
James Fredley On 2026/10/03 17:31:14 James Fredley wrote: > I will take a look at the identified issues and PRs and try to help them move > along so we can try to stay on the schedule. > > James > > On 2026-10-03 15:04 UTC James Daugherty wrote: > > Hi Everyone, > > > > We set a tentative deadline to call a vote for the 8.0.0 release on > > Monday. To help prepare for that vote, I upgraded a large, internal > > application to the latest 8 snapshot. I've found numerous issues that I > > would consider blocking - data binding inheritance / uploads / composite > > keys / proxy issues / and more. PRs are open for all of the issues found - > > 8 of them remain. Mattias had an LLM do a review of Hibernate 5 vs 7 after > > my PRs revealed these issues. He's also found several issues as a result > > of that. > > > > How do we want to proceed with the 8.0.0 vote? We don't currently have > > people reviewing PRs to meet our deadline of Monday. How do we want to > > handle the 8.0.0 release? Do we want to try to get these reviewed? Merge > > them and review as part of the vote? Should we delay the 8.0.0 release for > > more bug fixes? > > > > If we merge the open PRs, my application's tests show no more issues & I > > think we would be in a releasable state. This comment only applies to > > Hibernate 5 though, as I think Hibernate 7 may have more issues from > > Mattias' research. I suggest we mark Hibernate 7 as experimental to > > signify it may undergo major changes during the 8.x lifecycle - this would > > allow us to make breaking changes outside of a major release. What are > > people's thoughts on our timeline & changing our policy for Hibernate 7 > > during the 8.0.x releases? > > > > -James > > >
