Since there will always be bugs found and fixed in 8.0.1+, we should fix waht 
we can on 
https://github.com/apache/grails-core/pulls?q=is%3Apr+state%3Aopen+milestone%3Agrails%3A8.0.0
 and then call the vote.   No reason to hold up the release since 100% of the 
time we will fix bugs on 8.0.1+.

James Fredley


On 2026/10/03 17:31:14 James Fredley wrote:
> I will take a look at the identified issues and PRs and try to help them move 
> along so we can try to stay on the schedule.
> 
> James
> 
> On 2026-10-03 15:04 UTC James Daugherty wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> > 
> > We set a tentative deadline to call a vote for the 8.0.0 release on
> > Monday.  To help prepare for that vote, I upgraded a large, internal
> > application to the latest 8 snapshot.  I've found numerous issues that I
> > would consider blocking - data binding inheritance / uploads / composite
> > keys / proxy issues / and more.  PRs are open for all of the issues found -
> > 8 of them remain.  Mattias had an LLM do a review of Hibernate 5 vs 7 after
> > my PRs revealed these issues.  He's also found several issues as a result
> > of that.
> > 
> > How do we want to proceed with the 8.0.0 vote?  We don't currently have
> > people reviewing PRs to meet our deadline of Monday.  How do we want to
> > handle the 8.0.0 release?  Do we want to try to get these reviewed?  Merge
> > them and review as part of the vote?  Should we delay the 8.0.0 release for
> > more bug fixes?
> > 
> > If we merge the open PRs, my application's tests show no more issues & I
> > think we would be in a releasable state. This comment only applies to
> > Hibernate 5 though, as I think Hibernate 7 may have more issues from
> > Mattias' research.  I suggest we mark Hibernate 7 as experimental to
> > signify it may undergo major changes during the 8.x lifecycle - this would
> > allow us to make breaking changes outside of a major release.  What are
> > people's thoughts on our timeline & changing our policy for Hibernate 7
> > during the 8.0.x releases?
> > 
> > -James
> > 
> 

Reply via email to