On 11.10.2016 11:56, Paul King wrote:
Russel, do you know a project with a similar build setup already doing
this so we can 'borrow' their approach?

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk> wrote:
Would it be possible to include the Git identifier of the changeset
being compiled in the version number displayed by groovy -version for
Groovy build from master?

you mean like http://mrhaki.blogspot.de/2015/04/gradle-goodness-use-git-commit-id-in.html ? Or a newer version of git interaction, but not for the version number directly: http://mrhaki.blogspot.de/2016/06/grails-goodness-add-git-commit.html

I was actually wondering if that suggestion of Russel makes sense to me and for what cases... But the more I think of it, the more I think it can be useful. For example to ensure the released version and the version voted on are identical.

bye Jochen