While Groovy's internal use of ProxyGenerator mainly follows the singleton
pattern, it was designed to be generally used outside Groovy's internals -
so it would be removal of a public api.
We generally avoid that but if there is a great gain we could poll the
users and see if it is in widespread use and if not deprecate it (if no use
found) or make an internal copy.
Also, I am not sure
whether org.codehaus.groovy.vmplugin.v7.TypeTransformers usage is via the
INSTANCE.

Cheers, Paul.