Eric,

Yes this is used.

For example, picocli has an Ansi enum (ON, OFF, AUTO), with a nested inner
class Text.

A Text instance is created with
`currentAnsi.new Text(“@|bold hello|@“);`
The outer class determines whether Ansi escape codes are emitted when the text
is rendered.

I’m sure it’s possible to design things differently but if you are asking “is
this actually used“, the answer is yes.

(Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info