+1 with the following provisos:
* we need to update the breaking changes section of 3.0.0 release notes on
the website (site/src/site/releasenotes/groovy-3.0.adoc) to include the
cases listed in GROOVY-8561
* we need to update the "Array initializers" section of
core-differences-java.adoc (we need to explain what cases remain -
obviously if no array type is specified is one case - I haven't checked
whether Java allows arrays of lambdas or something similar which we may not
support - I don't believe so but haven't researched into it)
* we need to update the "Arrays" section of core-syntax.adoc (I think we
need to indicate that square brackets is the idiomatic approach and also
explicitly say that closure is the default interpretation of curly braces
unless the array target type can be inferred from the context.)

I think it is probably worth adding the last two into the PR for any future
reviewers. We should also update the "Lists" section of core-syntax.adoc to
include information about Groovy's auto promotion of a single item into an
array. I guess that isn't really part of this change but since that is
where the breaking changes changes will be for the degenerate edge cases, I
think we had better make that clearer.

I am happy to help with the wording in the doco changes (time permitting).

Cheers, Paul.