Actually, I don't really see the regex approach ever reaching maturity
for evaluation expressions. Just the simple property "foo=${'}'}" and
its variants are probably impossible to handle with regexes, (because
finding the the end of a groovy expression without a parser s hard).
An actual Parser would be required, so I guess an approach would have
to put the property value in quotes (escaping existing quote-ending
quotes in the middle) and try to evaluate it as a Groovy script or
something similarly complex. Not sure if anyone wants to go there.

If not, that would leave importing and interpolation, but as I said
there is already an apache commons project doing exactly that, so
reusing it instead of reinventing wheels may be the better approach,
if this kind of feature should be offered by Groovy.