What I gather from this discussion so far:

1. Use a custom file extension ".gproperties" instead of "properties".
2. Disable code execution by default.
3. Do not use a System property to disable code execution, rather use a
constructor argument (may be final) and/or getter/setter.
4. Do not add GProperties to 2.5.4 as this constitutes a new feature on a
fix point release.

I still don't see a reason to add it just now to the standard Groovy
distribution (even on 3.x) as once added to "Groovy core" it will be hard
to remove if by some reason it causes havoc/confusion to Groovy users.
I'd still recommend testing the waters by releasing GProperties as a
standalone library. In time, once we have gathered feedback from actual
users we can determine if it makes sense to add it to "core" in a minor
release,
just like it happened with the @TailRecurse AST transformation and the
Groovy macro method features.

This does not diminishes your work Daniel, I just don't want to see Groovy
continue down the path of becoming the next kitchen sink language.

Cheers,
Andres

Java Champion; Groovy Enthusiast
JCP EC Associate Seat