Groovy 2.5 still has JDK 7 as minimum whereas Groovy 3.0 has 8 as minimum.
You can still add DGM methods
into org.codehaus.groovy.vmplugin.v8.PluginDefaultGroovyMethods and then
they will only be available when running on a JDK8+ VM.

Wrt to the question of whether we should have firstOrElse, lastOrElse,
getAtOrElse, etc., it is certainly a possibility to add such a whole myriad
of duplicated methods but there might be better alternatives. Does the
existing ListWtihDefault work for you? It does mutate which might not be
what you are after but perhaps we could create an alternative variant of
that.

Cheers, Paul.