Hi Saravana -

Thank you for your question and interest in the HAWQ project. ORCA is a
common query optimizer between both HAWQ and Greenplum database, so you may
get additional responses if you cross-post your question to StackOverflow
with both HAWQ and Greenplum tags (maybe orca as well). Many of the ORCA
and GPDB engineers monitor those channels but are not necessary subscribed
to this mailing list.

Thanks,
Kyle

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 9:09 AM Saravana kumar Sankaramoorthy <
sarav...@axiomatics.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    We are using HAWQ 2.0.0 in one of our product evaluation and we are
> considerably new with the technology. The HAWQ uses gporca 1.627 to come
> up with the execution plan. We tried analysing Query 21 of TPC-H
> benchmarking downloaded from here
> <https://github.com/pivotalguru/demos/tree/master/TPC-H%20Benchmark/tpch_2_17_0>.
> We used TPC-H scale factor 1 and run it against a 5 node docker cluster. In
> Query 21, the table *lineitem* is referred three times. We expect gporca
> to apply the *Common Subexpression elimination* as mentioned in this video
> <https://discuss.pivotal.io/hc/en-us/articles/212714417-How-to-optimize-common-table-expression-CTE-i-e-WITH-clause-statement-in-GPDB->.
> But it did not apply. We manually modified the query to use CTE and found
> that it executes faster than the original one. I have attached both the
> queries and the execution plan generated for them.
>

>    - Why did gporca not apply the Common subexpression elimination?
>    - If it is because of the higher cost when using CTE, expanding the
>    definition inline will lead to the original query and cheaper cost. The
>    gporca should result in the original execution plan for the modified query
>    too. But it is not. I would like to understand why it is not happening.
>

> I will be very glad if someone can clarify why gporca behaves like this. I
> hope it is the correct forum to raise the question. If it is not, please
> direct me where to raise the question. Thanks in advance.
>
> Best Regards,
> *Saravana*
> Technical Lead
> Axiomatics AB
>
> --
*Kyle Dunn | Data Engineering | Pivotal*
Direct: 303.905.3171 <3039053171> | Email: kd...@pivotal.io