So if that is the case, I'm not sure how that is a fair test.  One
system reads from RAM, the other from disk.  The results as expected.

Why not test one system with SSDs and the other without?

It's really hard to get apples/oranges comparison. Even if you are
doing the same workloads on 2 diverse systems, you are not testing the
code quality, you are testing overall systems and other issues.

As G1 GC improves, I expect our ability to use larger and larger heaps
would blunt the advantage of a C++ program using malloc.

-ryan