Without solid evidence of "we'll be saving X megabytes" I don't see a
compelling reason to hacking that stuff out yet.

We sort of need a better out-of-the-box monitoring system. One idea I
had was to embed OpenTSDB inside the HMaster. This way OpenTSDB would
store info about a HBase cluster back in the same cluster it monitors.
While this may sound "weird" I think it makes sense because every
great database system provides strong self monitoring tools. Eg:
Oracle, etc.  Due to the LGPL, this is not currently viable.  Perhaps
there is an alternative floating out there we can ship with? And not
ganglia :-)